Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It's been a LOOOONG time!

First of all I'm so embarrassed that it has taken me MONTHS to update the blog. I was hoping to do it at least on a monthly basis so we could keep in touch with all of our friends and family back in the states but also use it to keep a journal of this time in our lives so the kids have something to look back one of these days.

Now that we have lived in Dubai for 8 months (can't believe it) I wanted to talk about general life here...and how it is different from the states. I wake up every morning and love to read the paper here since there is always something exciting and interesting to read. I won't go into details on the blog but hope to capture some of these headlines and save them before we move. I think the amazing thing to me (that was just in the paper again today)  is that some practices in the US just haven't quite hit home here yet. Case in point- babies/toddlers that are strapped in car seats here is very low (98% do NOT wear seat belts or have car seats). There are accidents happening all the time and these babies are dying. It is just crazy although I look at when I was born and we didn't have them so it is something that will come with time and they are a bit behind the times in this area..and some others too. The driving is crazy here but you get used to it, the key is just to be very vigilant - always keeping 3 eyes on the road:) My new favorite saying behind the wheel is "WHO DOES THAT?!?!" and you dare not make any hand gestures (especially the middle finger) because that will land you in serious trouble as it is viewed as disrespectful. Some people think the laws here are extreme but living here I realize they WORK! It is very safe and people for the most part respect one another. Stringent laws are not a bad thing and makes for a good quality of life. The kids feel very safe and protected and we all know that is what we want for our kids.

Life otherwise is pretty normal. It is getting hot now but not unbearable. I'm still playing tennis 3 times a week although the morning session on the roof of the school in 100 degree weather is getting to me a bit! Chip is working in Doha, Qatar a lot lately so he travels 2-3 days per week. The work here is getting busier and Cerner is signing lots of contracts so they need him other places other than Dubai. That is a good thing and Dubai in general is thriving in the midst of unrest in the Middle East. The newspaper just said that Dubai is one of the top 10 places in the world coming out of the recession the quickest. It is very busy here, tourists are coming..malls are crazy busy..seems to be hopping all the time! Speaking of tourists if any of you can get over here you will love it! Dubai is a perfect vacation destination if you want a beach/shopping/desert adventure and super for kids. We have been hosting some potential Cerner families thinking of moving here so I'm hopeful we will have many more expats to hang out with. We have been very blessed with friends here that will I'm sure will remain friends for a lifetime. Without them (and they know who they are!) this experience wouldn't be half as fun and easy.

The kids are really enjoying the American School of Dubai. All of their after school activities (and my activities) are on campus too so it makes life pretty easy. I've been helping the PTA with some stuff, just slowly getting involved:) I do miss working but trying to fill in my days doing productive things. One of my favorite things we just started is a book club that focuses on regional books. It is fascinating reading books about the Middle East and especially ones that are told from a Westerner's perspective. We have a BUNCO group here too so things are picking up on the social calendar:) Chip is looking forward to some "boy" time this summer when the kids and I leave him for 6 weeks. The other dads here are in the same boat so I'm sure he will come up with some things to do other than work, although I know he will miss all of us too:) It is the longest we have been away from him!

Of course one of the negative things about being an expat is that every year people leave you:( I'm happy that we don't seem to be losing too many people this year and most of the people we have come to meet will be back here next year..except a few. oh and on that note I still get a question as to what an "expat" is so here is the formal definition...An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence. 

I think the hardest thing so far (for me) has been the lack of communication with home. Our phone needs to be connected with the VPN - and Internet- to work so I can't really receive calls..and the good time for me to talk is now which happens to be in the middle of the night in the USA. When everyone in USA can talk I am home with kids doing homework, baths, bedtime...so I feel like I have lost touch a bit with friends and family but I hope and pray that I can re-connect in the 2 months I am home for the summer. I have always believed that with true friends (and family, of course) you can just pick up where you left off. This whole experience is great for our family and I don't regret the decision one bit but I do miss everyone that we left behind. I'm sure that is a point that no one here as an expat would argue with!

So I won't promise that I will write again soon but hopefully I will:) When we get back from FL we will have been here 1 year, hard to believe. The boys will be in 1st and 5th grade. I still remember the day they were born like it was yesterday!

The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot. 
--Michael Althsule

1 comment:

  1. At least you got to hear your phone ring when I called... LOL.
    Love reading these updates even though we get to talk sometimes. Miss you, love you and can't wait to see you in a little over 4 weeks... YIPPEE

    ReplyDelete